As was common in Kansas after the Civil War, the railroad had a vested interest in developing new towns. In 1887 the railroad track reached newly formed Paxico. With the arrival of the railroad and the availability of some of the finest tall grass prairie for cattle raising, Paxico soon became a retail trade center complete with stockyards, general stores and banks. Many of its turn-of-the-century buildings still remain and are in near original condition.
This district is composed of the original Glotzbach General Store, the furniture store, the bank building, and Murgerson's Billiard Hall. These buildings are all listed on the National Historic Register and currently house multiple quality antique stores.
Come visit us in Paxico, Kansas