LASR.net Homepage




Menu

Historic Visitors Center


category : Historic Post Offices
Historic Visitors Center The former Fremont Post Office building celebrated its opening August, 2000, as the new home to the Fremont Area Chamber of Commerce and several other non-profit agencies.

Fremont was one of the earliest and smallest communities in Nebraska to receive a federally constructed post office. The original sandstone building was constructed in 1893-95 in the Richardsonian Romanesque style. Most of the original marble floor has been preserved in the lobby area.Two historic additions were added in 1910-11 and 1936-37.

The building served as the Fremont Post Office for 71 years and then 26 years as the Fremont Police Station. The new historic Visitors Center is rich in both history and nostalgic charm. Although many changes had to be made, the ornate oak stairway still adds grace and charm to the entry area.

Where residents stood in line to mail their letters, you now see decorative displays containing information and maps to help travelers.

The portion of the lobby that contained oak tables for people to use in preparation of their parcels for the mail, now contains informative displays with information on local scenic areas.

The landmark won the Rising Star award from the Nebraskaland Foundation and local and state awards from Lied Main Street Program, and in addition, houses the first-ever Post Office Historical Exhibit and the Lincoln Highway interpretive display.

Large and small meeting rooms help further the activities of the Fremont Area Chamber. Commemorative bricks were purchased by area families and laid around the steps to add to the historic feel of the building. You may purchase a brick for yourself or a family member.

Volunteer ambassadors are available to assist you. They are well-informed about the history of Dodge County and can provide information about all historic sites in our area.

Other affiliates located in the Administrative Offices include the Fremont Area Chamber, Community Foundation, Habitat for Humanity and the Greater Fremont Development Council.

Convenient parking is available for 30 vehicles. The new facility has ample parking provided for tour busses and can accommodate tours of approximately 50 people. The historic visitor center is handicapped accessible.


Hours: Mon - Fri 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Address: 605 North Broad Street
Phone: 402-721-2641
Our Email: info@fremontne.org

Come visit us in Fremont, Nebraska

Attractions and Upcoming Events

J. D. McDonald House

The J. D. McDonald House, built in 1888, is an excellent example of the Queen Anne style. While employing the varied building materials and roof lines typical of Queen Anne architecture, this structure has a distinctive rounded

Fremont, NE National Register

Love-Larson Opera House

The theater was built by James Wheeler Love in 1888. In 1905

Fremont, NE Opera Houses

Historical District Walking Tour - Nye Avenue

Take yourself back in Fremont's history with a self-guided tour of Nye Avenue. View the beautifully designed homes boasting the different architectural styles of their period. There are over twenty-five houses within the confines of the proposed National Register District of Nye Avenue.

Fremont, NE City Walking/Driving Tour


Fremont & Elhorn Valley Railroad and Museum

Come relive a portion of our history aboard the FEVR, Nebraska's longest and largest tourist railroad, in rail cars dating from the 1920

Fremont, NE Excursions

Things to do Historic Post Offices near Fremont, NE