LASR.net Homepage




Menu

Hobart, Oklahoma

Hobart, Oklahoma

Adopting the Iris as its "Official City Flower," Hobart seems to embody everyone's idea of their home town. Quaint, thriving shops surround the tree-lined Kiowa County Courthouse and Square which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The original City Hall building still houses the Fire Department but is also the home of the Shortgrass Theater, which produces three to four stage performances annually with cast members from throughout southwestern Oklahoma. The City hall auditorium is on the National register of Historic Places , as is the Hobart Public Library.

Hobart was settled in 1901 and named for Garrett A. Hobart, at that time Vice President of the United States.

On the corner of Main and Fourth Street, at Hobart's only stop light, Boothe Drugstore still boasts a soda fountain and features sodas that evoke memories of the small towns of bygone years. Just south of Boothe Drugstore is the historic, rock Island Depot housing the Kiowa County Museum which is filled with artifacts of southwest Oklahoma.

The tree-lined streets in Hobart frame beautiful housing additions and lead to Hunter Park, a 25-acre recreational area surrounding Hunter Park Lake. Though Hobart has quietly chanted with age, it retains an aura visitors fondly remember.

Attractions and Upcoming Events

War Memorials

Proudly placed on the front lawn of the Kiowa County Courthouse are two statues of a "Doughboy" and a sailor. Originally cast in 1929, these military figures had once stood as a war memorial on State Highway 9. In February of 1969, Hobart resident, Vernard Holbrook, "found"

Hobart, OK Memorials

Hunter Park Lake

Hunter Park is a 25-acre recreational area surrounding Hunter Park Lake. The park has areas for children to play, a pavilion for families to gather for large reunions or for quiet picnics while tossing a line the lake for an afternoon of fishing.

Hobart, OK Recreation

Old City Hall

The building was constructed for the use as the City Hall in 1912 by the City Administration. All city offices were located there, including the 2-horse Fire Department. Its upper floor was an auditorium, seating 1200. Through the 1930

Hobart, OK Historic Buildings

Kiowa County Museum

The Kiowa County Museum occupies the historic Rock Island Depot listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It was built in 1909 and used until the 1970s. The Kiowa County Historical Society acquired the site in 1987

Hobart, OK Museums

Kiowa County Courthouse

The Kiowa County Courthouse and Square is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It was designed by J. Riley Gordon and constructed in 1902

Hobart, OK Historic Courthouses

Things to do near Hobart, OK

Fire, Transportation, and Farm Museum

The museum features antique Rolls Royces, fire trucks, buggies, saddles, Army and Navy relics and an African spear collection...