The Kickapoo Nation Reservation is the second largest Indian reservation in the State of Kansas, covering an area of 6,570 acres in Brown County, 5 miles west of Horton, within 45 miles of the Nebrask... Kickapoo Nation Reservation (Kiikaapoaki)
Presently located at 908 First Avenue East the original structure is constructed of native stone that was quarried just east of Horton. The agency serves all four Kansas tribes, the Potawatomi reserva... Bureau of Indian Affairs
The cornerstone for the present church was laid August 4, 1915 and the structure was dedicated May 15, 1916 by the Most Reverend Bishop Ward of Leavenworth in the presence of 25 priests, Abbot Innocent Wolf, O.S.B. of Atchison and a vast congregation.
The Sanctuary of St. Leo'
The original "Newman" Methodist Episcopal Church was dedicated January 6, 1889, honoring Bishop Newman. The brick structure located at the corner of 10th and First Avenue East was the first Church built in Horton. A severe storm damaged the church in 1894. Extensive remodeling was done in 1914-15
Keeping Our Roots Alive by Passing on the Old Pioneer Skills
Visiting Werner Wagon Works, located on the east side of beautiful Mission Lake, you'll be welcomed to "a piece of the past." Tour the working 1800'
The Horton Post Office was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1989. The two murals on the Walls, "Picnic in Kansas" and "Changing of Horses for the Pony Express" were painted by Colorado artist, Kenneth Evett in 1938 and 1939