LASR.net Homepage




Menu


Horton, Kansas

Horton, Kansas

Horton was founded September 20, 1886. The town was christened and named after Chief Justice Judge, A.H. Horton, eminent jurist, held in high esteem by the people of Kansas; for nearly twenty years he served as Chief Justice of the Kansas Supreme Court.

The construction of the Rock Island Railroad throughout the state of Kansas in 1886, fathered the city. It was a Boom Town and grew so rapidly that it was called the "Magic City." Later, the name "Little Chicago" was used by supporters who hoped that because of its phenomenal growth, it might equal or surpass Chicago, Illinois in size. The name "Little Chicago" was also used derisively in regard to Horton by envious neighboring cities. On March 21, 1887, the Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific machine shops at Horton were staked out. Within 16 months the new town had a population of 4,000. Starting from an open field to being a bustling city in that length of time was indeed magic!

In December 1936, a representative of the Rural Electrification Administration, from Washington, D.C. held a meeting in the High School Auditorium in Horton, to explain how an electric cooperative could be formed. Those present, immediately formed a board and conducted a survey of potential users. The results were so positive that early in 1937 plans were submitted for the first REA project. The first pole was set November 10, 1937 and on April 1, 1938 the first line was energized.

A Memorial was erected at the corner of 5th Avenue East and 15th Street in 1987 by the Kansas Electric Cooperatives and the Kansas State Historical Society. This was also the location of the first pole set. Because Horton was the first city to acquire a REA project, the Horton City Commission voted to adopt "The Electric City" as the city logo on May 1, 1995.

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Free Public Library

In 1901, the History and Literature Club, which had been organized in 1891, wrote a letter to Andrew Carnegie requesting his help in creating a public library in Horton. This encouraged Federated Women's Clubs to get a tax levy for establishing a library and in 1938

Horton, KS Historic Buildings

Lakeview Country Club

Lakeview Country Club at Mission Lake is a 9

Horton, KS Golf Courses


The Post Office Murals

The Horton Post Office was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1989. The two murals on the Walls, "Picnic in Kansas" and "Changing of Horses for the Pony Express" were painted by Colorado artist, Kenneth Evett in 1938 and 1939

Horton, KS Arts

Mission Lake

Located in the Northeast corner of Horton, Mission Lake is easily accessible from either US-73 or from Highway K-20/US-73. It has 278 acres of camping grounds with over 100

Horton, KS Recreation

Things to do near Horton, KS

Weaver Hotel

The Hotel was built in 1905 and is on the National Historic Register. A bullet hole from a double bank robbery in 1910...