LASR.net Homepage




Menu


Hotel and Stage Coach Stop


category : Historic Buildings
Hotel and Stage Coach Stop This 1889 Hotel and Stage Coach Stop was constructed from native sandstone quarried from Chochran's Hill north of Caney. The basement was used to store winter ice cut from the Caney River.


Address: 3rd Ave. and State Street

Come visit us in Caney, Kansas

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Old Jail

The first city jail was built in 1888 of native sandstone at a cost of $27.00. The town "Marshall" was W.V. Toner.

Caney, KS Pioneer History

Gen. George H. Wark Memorial Park

This city park was established in 1919 in memory of Caney's Company D who participated in World War I. Gen. George H. Wark organized Co. D, 3rd Kansas Infantry and mustered the first units of the Kansas Army National Guard into federal service at Caney's Elk's Hall, May 19, 1917

Caney, KS Memorials

Black Dog Trail Marker

The Osage Indians were a dominant population in what was to be Southeast Kansas, and their influence had a positive effect on Caney. Chief Black Dog cleared a trail 30

Caney, KS Ethnic Heritage

Opera House/Elk's Hall

The popular Truskett Opera House which was built in 1907 burned along with other businesses in 1910 having a $50,000 loss. The Caney Elk's Club acquired the opera house facilities and rebuilt a building for club use. Their "Elk's Hall"

Caney, KS Opera Houses

Little White School House

The first school, built in 1870, was a log cabin provided by Berryman Smith. The teacher, Mrs. O.M. \"Billie\" Smith, had 25 students enrolled. Bonds for the next school building, the Little White School House, were sold to raise $1,800 and the school was built in 1872 for $900

Caney, KS Historic Schoolhouses

Things to do Historic Buildings near Caney, KS

Post Office

Built in 1918, the Girard Post Office was the smallest first class post office built at the time because of the huge volume o...

Appeal to Reason Site

A large brick building was on this site and was used by the Appeal To Reason newspaper in 1896. Its publisher was J.A....

Ice Barn and McFarland Lake

Ice was harvested from the McFarland Lake and stored in this lovely old stone barn built in 1896. It was built for James M...