LASR.net Homepage




Menu

Hugo, Oklahoma

Hugo, Oklahoma

In 1902 the Frisco built an East-West line from Hope, Arkansas, to Ardmore, Oklahoma, creating the territorial town later named Hugo. Almost overnight with the completion of these two strategic rail lines, tents and Conestogas converged on the new territory. A local rail depot was the center of attention with trains coming and going all day long. The Harvey House Restaurant in the Depot grew in popularity. There were dance hall girls, hustlers and gunfighters. The city of Hugo was named by the wife of a local surveyor, W.H. Darrough. Mrs. Darrough was a fan of French Novelist, Victor Hugo and she recommended the name "Hugo."

In the late 60s Hugo was designated as the termination point of the Indian Nation Turnpike, which provides a major transportation artery to northern and central Oklahoma. About the same time, Congress authorized the construction of the fabulous Hugo Lake, a 13,000 acre hot spot for fishing and camping enthusiasts. Most recently, Hugo has won distinction as one of only 30 rural Enterprise Communities in the United States.

Capitalizing on its railroad heritage, the Hugo Heritage Railroad was formed in 1992, and operated as Oklahoma's only excursion passenger rail tourist attraction, but in 2002 the rails were purchased by private operations and access was denied. Renovation of the Hugo Depot and Museum is continuous with the reopening of the old Harvey House Restaurant, and once again patrons can experience the excitement of turn-of-the-century rail travel in Hugo.

Hugo also proudly lays claim to being the home and winter quarters of three of America's largest Circuses: Carson & Barnes; Kelly-Miller Brothers; The Chinese Imperial Circus. Hugo's Mount Olivet Cemetery is internationally famous for its Showman's Rest section which includes a special section of Circus Tents and Animals as monuments to the men and women who spent their lives entertaining American children and families as Circus performers.

The citizens of Hugo welcome you to the history-rich community.

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Frisco Depot Museum

The Frisco Depot Museum built in 1914 is the third largest depot on Frisco rail lines in Oklahoma. The museum was formed when the Choctaw County Historical Society obtained control of the Frisco Depot and began its restoration in 1978

Hugo, OK Museums

Goodland Academy - Presbyterian Children's Home

The oldest continuously operated Christian children's home in America, Goodland is located two miles south of Hugo. Operated by the Presbyterian Church, the home continues to enrich the lives of young men who are residents of the school. The Church building served for 42

Hugo, OK Historic Schoolhouses

Mt. Olivet Cemetery

Hugo's Mount Olivet Cemetery is internationally famous for its Showman's Rest section which includes a special section of Circus Tents and Animals as monuments to the men and women who spent their lives entertaining American children and families as Circus performers.

Hugo, OK Cemeteries

Rose Hill Historical Marker

One time noted plantation home of Col. Robert M. Jones, wealthiest Choctaw owner of 500 slaves. A Southern leader, he served as delegate from Choctaw Nation to the Confederate Congress at Richmond, VA. Baptist Mission of \"Providence\" nearby, closed about 1843

Hugo, OK Historical Markers

Chainsaw Sculpture at The Village Inn

The Chainsaw Sculpture at the Village Inn was carved in 2007, from a dead Live Oak Tree, by well known chainsaw sculptor Clayton Coss. The sculpture depicts a 10

Hugo, OK Arts

Things to do near Hugo, OK

McCurtain County Soccer Club

The McCurtain County Soccer Club is a non-profit youth soccer association for young people in and around McCurtain County Okl...

Lake Ozzie Cobb

Lake Ozzie Cobb is a 116 acre lake for fishing, boating, swimming, and primitive camping. A boat ramp and restrooms are avail...