LASR.net Homepage




Menu

Hugoton, Kansas

Hugoton, Kansas

Hugoton was originally named Hugo as suggested by E.G. Collyer upon entering Stevens County. The town was promoted and platted by a banking firm from McPherson, but there was no preference for a name. Newspapers had just accounted the death of Victor Hugo, so Collyer suggested honoring him with the name of their city so it was adopted and platted. It was later changed to Hugoton to distinguish it from the town in Colorado.

The Hay Meadow Massacre was the culmination of the "Bloody Stevens" battle over the county seat being located at Hugoton or the once prospering Woodsdale, now a memory only. So shocked was the state, that even William Allen White of the Emporia Gazette came to do a story.

When the railroad reached Hugoton in 1913 it was a day of celebration, but the discovery of natural gas in 1926 put Hugoton on the world map. In 1927, Hugoton put the cap on the world's largest gas field. The Hugoton Pool is over 1500 miles long, north and south, and 50 miles wide, east and west.


Stevens County has 5,417 acres of walk-in hunting.

Attractions and Upcoming Events

The Hugoton Meteorite

The Hugoton Meteorite was located on the J.D. Lynch farm, in Stevens County, four miles west and two miles north of Hugoton. It is now housed at the Arizona State University for the Center For Meteorite Studies and Museum of Geology at Tempe.

Hugoton, KS Natural Attractions

Municipal Swimming Pool

Cool off on those hot summer days at the Hugoton Municipal Swimming Pool. Zip down the water slides, splash in from the diving boards, or relax on the side of the pool. A great way to escape the heat of the summer.

Hugoton, KS Recreation

Hugoton 1887 Historic Home

The Early Dwelling House in Hugoton was built in 1886-1887 by B.E. Stehlt. Stehle was the first druggist in Hugoton, Kansas. The house is currenty furnished as it would have been for a family in 1885, and is located in the Museum Complex.

Hugoton, KS Museums

Hugoton Municipal Golf Course

This nine-hole municipal course consists of lush bluegrass fairways, grass greens and a few sand traps. A driving range is situated just east of the first hole. The course is open from daylight to dark, 365 days a year, weather permitting. A new clubhouse was erected in 1999

Hugoton, KS Golf Courses

Santa Fe Depot

The Hugoton Santa Fe Depot was first known in 1913, when the railroad came to Stevens county. It was removed from its location in 1982 and taken to the museum complex, having a service record of over 70

Hugoton, KS Railroad History

Things to do near Hugoton, KS

Wichita County Park and Swimming Pool

Wichita County Park at Fifth and Earl sports a new swimming pool with water slides and other recreational items including bas...