LASR.net Homepage




Menu

Hugoton, Kansas

Hugoton, Kansas

Hugoton was originally named Hugo as suggested by E.G. Collyer upon entering Stevens County. The town was promoted and platted by a banking firm from McPherson, but there was no preference for a name. Newspapers had just accounted the death of Victor Hugo, so Collyer suggested honoring him with the name of their city so it was adopted and platted. It was later changed to Hugoton to distinguish it from the town in Colorado.

The Hay Meadow Massacre was the culmination of the "Bloody Stevens" battle over the county seat being located at Hugoton or the once prospering Woodsdale, now a memory only. So shocked was the state, that even William Allen White of the Emporia Gazette came to do a story.

When the railroad reached Hugoton in 1913 it was a day of celebration, but the discovery of natural gas in 1926 put Hugoton on the world map. In 1927, Hugoton put the cap on the world's largest gas field. The Hugoton Pool is over 1500 miles long, north and south, and 50 miles wide, east and west.


Stevens County has 5,417 acres of walk-in hunting.

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Santa Fe Depot

The Hugoton Santa Fe Depot was first known in 1913, when the railroad came to Stevens county. It was removed from its location in 1982 and taken to the museum complex, having a service record of over 70

Hugoton, KS Railroad History

City Parks

There are three parks within the city limits, with City Park

Hugoton, KS Recreation

Hugoton Municipal Golf Course

This nine-hole municipal course consists of lush bluegrass fairways, grass greens and a few sand traps. A driving range is situated just east of the first hole. The course is open from daylight to dark, 365 days a year, weather permitting. A new clubhouse was erected in 1999

Hugoton, KS Golf Courses

Hugoton Gas Derrick

The gas well that was dug into the Hugoton Gas Field in 1945

Hugoton, KS Natural Attractions

Early Methodist Church

The Early Methodist Church was built in 1905-1906 and was the second church built in Hugoton. Currently the church is being used by St. Timothy's Episcopal Church congregation each Sunday. Located in the Museum Complex.

Hugoton, KS Historic Churches

Things to do near Hugoton, KS

Caves

There are over 235 known caves on private land in southeast Comanche County. They are in the northern part of the Permian Bas...

Jetmore City Lake Camping

There are five electrical hookups for RVs and ten camping spaces....

Historical Sites

Wild Horse Corral - In early days, wild horses were grazing on the prairie and often t...