Just east of Houston Intercontinental Airport, Humble was named after its founder, postmaster and Justice of the Peace, P. S. Humble in 1886. In 1904, oil was discovered, and by 1905, the town was a "boom town." In 1909, local feed store owner Ross Sterling along with a few others founded the Humble Oil & Refining Co. (now Exxon).
Drilling for oil in 1912, artesian water was discovered. The precious water was used in bathhouses for oil field workers and piped to nearby houses. Today it is the site of the historic Lambrecht Town & Artesian Well.