Irving was established in 1902 by J.O. Schulze and Otis Brown as the site to begin a watermelon farm. In 1906, Schulze and Brown donated much of Irving to the Chicago, Rock Island and Gulf Railroad for a depot and switching yard.
Irving has had a growth surge from a population of 2,575 in 1950 to more than 190,000 today. The thriving commercial, industrial, and residential city borders on the western edge of Dallas and the eastern boundary of D/FW International Airport. Irving is home to the North Lake College and the University of Dallas.
A herd of five marble cows, sculpted by Harold Clayton, makes an unusual setting along Texas 114 near Rochelle Road as a perfect photo of an urban cow!