LASR.net Homepage



Menu

Custer House - Fort Riley


category : Museums
Custer House - Fort Riley Constructed in 1855 of native limestone, the Custer House is the only surviving set of quarters from the Fort's earliest history and authentically depicts military life on the western frontier during the Indian Wars Period. It is largely unchanged from its original design and furnished with period furniture from the period between 1880 and 1890. It is believed that General and Mrs. Custer occupied either this or the sister-set of quarters (#21) while stationed here in 1866.

Custer House is open to the public for visitation, and guided tours are provided by members of the Fort Riley Historical Society.


Admission: Free or Donation
Hours: 10am - 4pm, Monday - Saturday
Noon - 4pm, Sundays.
Season: Memorial Day till Labor Day.
Address: Bldg. #24 on Sheridan Avenue
Phone: 785-239-2743
Our Website:www.riley.army.mil

Come visit us in Fort Riley, Kansas

Attractions and Upcoming Events

U. S. Cavalry Museum

The U.S. Cavalry Museum building was constructed in 1854 and used for nearly thirty years as the Post Hospital. In 1889, as Fort Riley'

Fort Riley, KS Museums

Territorial Capitol

In 1855, the nation wept for "Bleeding Kansas"

Fort Riley, KS Historic Buildings

St. Mary's Chapel

As the first stone church in Kansas, the original building was constructed by the Episcopalians in the mid 1850'

Fort Riley, KS Historic Churches

Custer House - Fort Riley

Constructed in 1855 of native limestone, the Custer House is the only surviving set of quarters from the Fort'

Fort Riley, KS Museums

Wounded Knee Monument

This monument is dedicated to the men of the 7th cavalry who were killed during the Pine Ridge Campaign of 1890 and the battle that is known as Wounded Knee. This controversial engagement marked one of the last armed conflicts between the army and Native Americans.

Fort Riley, KS Monuments

Things to do Museums near Fort Riley, KS