Upcoming Events in Lindsborg Kansas
King Knut's Day
- 12 noon Conclusion of the holiday celebration! Community potluck at Bethany Lutheran Church.
Annual Chocolate Lover's Affair
- Enjoy an evening of elegance and chocolate specialties as local chefs compete for your vote.
The Lindsborg Arts & Humanities Award is presented and a live action of art and chocolate raises money for scholarships given to Smoky Valley Seniors who will be majoring in the arts. An evening of romance...Priceless! For the auction there is Master Card.
|11 - 18||Broadway RFD Dinner Theatre - "Dead to the Last Drop."|
|26 - 2||
Messiah Festival of the Arts
- EASTER WEEK - The Messiah Festival of Music & Art since 1882. Presentations of Handel's "Messiah" and Bach's "St. Matthew's Passion" plus recitals, concerts and art exhibitions. Reserved seating. The Messiah Festival of Music and Art takes place during Holy Week. Messiah Festival of the Arts is the longest-running performances of Handel's Messiah in North America, now in its 131th year.
Performances are Palm Sunday and Easter Sunday at 3pm. Bach's St. Matthew Passion is presented on Good Friday at 7:30pm.
Also, art exhibits will be around town and on campus.
|22||Artists' Studio Spring Open House - Highly anticipated, this bi-annual event abounds with prolific artists, both local and regional. Experience art being created in central Kansas and meet the artists opening their studios for you. Acquaint yourself for the first time or yet again to the welcoming artistic community of Lindsborg. Start at the Red Barn Studio at 212 S. Main and pick up a map to serve as your guide. Sponsored by the Red Barn Studio and the Lindsborg Arts Council.|
|29 - 30||
- FIRST SATURDAY - A celebration of McPherson County history featuring a dry run of the Smoky Valley Roller Mill and other living history demonstrations. Visitors are invited to experience the sights and sounds of early Kansas flour milling at the McPherson County Old Mill Museum's annual event. During the event, only the wheels, belts and pulleys turn again at the region's oldest operational roller mill. Professional millers direct operations as visitors take tours of the one hundred year old mill in action. Across the grounds, artisans demonstrate crafts once a vital part of prairie lifestyle.
Get away to an earlier era by tasting homemade ice cream and BBQ, tapping your feet to Americana music and learning traditional arts, such as spinning and woodcarving. A quilt show will feature exquisite historic quilts at the 1904 World's Fair Swedish Pavilion. It is a weekend of family fun!
Guided tours of the mill ongoing for ages 13 and older. A viewing area outside the mill is available for those under 13. Saturday 9am - 5pm; Sunday 12noon - 5pm.
|9 - 10||
Midsommardag - Midsummer's Day Festival
- The celebration of the Summer solstice was originally a fertility festival with many customs and rituals associated with nature and with the hope for a good harvest in the coming autumn. Lindsborg's young and old dance around the decorated Midsummer's Pole while listening to traditional folk songs. We invite you to join in! Legend says if you place seven kinds of Midsummer's blooms under your pillow you will dream of your true love! Help create your very own blomkran (flower crown) and try your skills at Kubb, a 1,000 year old Viking game. Listen to ethnic music and taste yummy Scandinavian style food and pastries. Children can participate in activities throughout the day.
Held every year in "Little Sweden USA" on the third weekend in June.
|9 - 10||
- The celebration of the Summer solstice was originally a fertility festival with many customs and rituals associated with nature and with the hope for a good harvest in the coming autumn.
Lindsborg's young and old dance around the decorated Midsummer's Pole while listening to traditional folk songs. We invite you to join in! Legend says if you place seven kinds of Midsummer's blooms under your pillow you will dream of your true love! Help create your very own blomkran (flower crown) and try your skills at Kubb, a 1,000 year old Viking game. Listen to ethnic music and taste yummy Scandinavian style food and pastries. Children can participate in activities throughout the day.
|4||Old Fashioned Fourth of July Celebration - Bring a blanket or lawn chairs to Swensson Park located at the 400 block of N. Main and enjoy a patriotic evening of food, fellowship and fun. 5:30 PM - 8:30 PM|
|14 - 22||Broadway RFD presents "Pirates of Penzance" - Enjoy musical evenings under the stars July Friday, 20; Saturday, 21; Friday, 27; Saturday, 28. 8:00 p.m. by Kansas' longest running outdoor theatre.|
Smoky Valley Classic Car Show
- This show's popularity stems from the shade-filled location and small town hospitality. Growing larger each year, the car show gives out 100 awards to participants. Registration begins at 8:00 am at Swensson Park. Judging is from 10:00 am - 2:30pm. Awards begin at 3pm. Food Vendors.
*Best Other GM Product
*Best Other Ford Product
*Best Street Rod**
*Best Paint (other than original paint job)
*Best Engine Compartment
*Best Club Participation - Largest paid registration from a single club
*Long Haul Award - Furthest distance traveled (one way) by entry car, either driven or trailered.
*Best Display - Historically accurate memorabilia, attire, theme, trunk/engine/interior display
**Not available to production vehicles built in 1995 or later
|29 - 30||
- Lindsborg's Svensk Hyllningsfest is a biennial tribute to the Swedish pioneers occurring in October of odd numbered years. The festival features art, crafts, special foods, ethnic music, folk dancing, parade, smorgasbord, and special entertainment. Many of Lindsborg's residents don traditional Swedish folk costumes for the event. Swedish folk dance groups and musicians add to the Swedish flavor of the festival.
Swedish music filters down the streets and through the windows during the three day festival. The first Svensk Hyllningsfest was held in October 1941, to honor the Swedish pioneers who settled in the Smoky Valley in 1868-69.
Festival Royalty is selected from folks over the age of 65, of Swedish descent, who have contributed significantly to the community. Entertainment is non-stop during the three day period. Primarily Swedish music and folk dancing by both local and visiting performers. One much looked forward to part of the program is the Swedish folk dances and games by the grade school and middle school students. The Saturday night entertainment is something you won't want to miss.
|30||La Strada dell'Arte - Watch as the pavement in downtown Lindsborg is turned into pastel masterpieces. Everyone of all ages can participate! Located on the 100 block of N. Main Street. La Strada dell'Arte is held from 2:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. Sponsored by the Red Barn Studio.|
|7||Coronado Heights Run - 15K and 5K; 1 mile youth run; 2 mile fun walk. And yes, with the 15K, you DO go up and down Coronado Heights (a mile up 300 feet) in the middle of the run!|
Falun Classic Bike Ride
- A 32-mile fun bike ride on black top through the beautiful Smoky Valley area. This ride is designed to be a fun ride and not a race. Begins at Swensson Park in Lindsborg, goes south on Main Street, west on Hwy 4, north and east on Falun Road, south on 13th Avenue, and east on Swensson Street to end at Swensson Park.
Meet at Swensson Park at 1:00 p.m.
Ride begins at 1:30 p.m.
Address: Swensson Park/400 blk of N. Main Street , Lindsborg, Kansas
|18 - 22||
Festival of Trees
- Beautifully decked out with a myriad of themes, styles and humorous puns, all trees are decorated by Lindsborg individuals or businesses. Vote for your favorite one! Located in the Swedish Pavilion at the Old Mill Museum.
Address: 120 Mill Street , Lindsborg, Kansas
|24 - 25||Alternative Gift Market - Be a modern Santa and shop at the Bethany College Alternative Gift Market. Buy a donation for a reputable charity group and send a card to a friend or relative notifying them of the gift in their honor. There will be eighteen charity gifts promoted at the market for various causes. Handcrafted and knitted items, home-baked goods, artisan breads and jewelry will also be available for purchase with proceeds going to Alternative Gifts International.|
|25 - 2||
Old Fashioned Christmas
- Bringing back the holidays of yesteryear, the Old Mill Museum presents an Old Fashioned Christmas. Families are welcome to enjoy the music and delve into traditional crafts, cookie decoration, the Christmas story told by the shepherd in the stable and to write that all important letter to Santa!
First Saturday, December 3, 2011 - 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Second Saturday, December 10, 2011 - 5:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
Address: Old Mill Museum, 120 Mill Street , Lindsborg, Kansas
|25||Artists' Studio Christmas Open House - Eighteen area artists invite you into their creative space presenting various works and to discuss stylistic mediums and choices. The studios are open from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Pick up maps at the Red Barn Studio.|
|25||Artists' Studio Christmas Open House - Acquaint yourself for the first time or yet again to the welcoming artistic community of Lindsborg. Start at the Red Barn Studio (212 S. Main) and pick up a map to serve as your guide.|
|25||Snowflake Parade - "C'mon, get snowflaky!" All angels, Santas, snowballs, elves, bells, snowflakes, fairies and jul tomtes are welcome! The Snowflake Parade is for children of all ages. Don't just come and watch, plan to be in the parade. Begins at noon.|
|26||Jultide at Bethany College - Featuring the Bethany College choirs, symphonic band, brass ensemble and handbell choir. Begins at 4:00 p.m. in Presser Hall on Bethany College campus. "The Many Moods of Christmas."|
- Second Saturday - Lucia Fest ushers in Christmas season according to 18th century Swedish tradition, live Christmas music, folk dancing, and crowning of Lucia. The Swedish Christmas (Jul) begins on December 13. Early in the morning, households are awakened by "Lucia", usually the oldest daughter of the family, dressed in a traditional white robe with crimson sash, and wearing a crown with lighted candles. It is customary for her to carry a tray with coffee and special saffron buns or ginger cookies to each one in the family as she serenades them with the lovely old Sicilian melody, Santa Lucia.
The Lindsborg Lucia Festival honors light and hope on the longest day of darkness.
|3||Messiah Lutheran Church Candlelight Concert - The 76th Annual Candlelight Concert will begin at 7:00 p.m. at the Messiah Lutheran Church.|
Christmas Morning, December 25, 2015.
Bethany Lutheran Church, 6:00 a.m. (annual)
Evangelical Covenant Church, 6:00 a.m. (odd years only)
Celebrate Christmas Swedish-style with an early morning church service. Julotta in Swedish means Christmas morn, otta is the time which is slightly before dawn.
- Annandag Jul
Day after Christmas, December 26, 2015.
Bethany Lutheran Church, 10:00 a.m.
Annandag Jul means literally "another day of Christmas" an official part of the Christmas holiday in Sweden. Annandag Jul marks the the middle days between the beginning of the Christmas season and New Years. Join in the celebration at Bethany Lutheran Church for a church gathering in Swedish and English.