Kaufman was first settled in 1840, by forty families led by Dr. William P. King from Mississippi, who purchased land and built a fort on a hilltop that overlooked his new home. This became known as Kings Fort. As the community grew, the name changed to Kingsboro. In 1846 when the state established Henderson County, Kingsboro became part of that county. In 1848, land was taken from Henderson County to establish Kaufman County, named for David S. Kaufman. Three years later the community became the county seat and renamed for the county.
Just southeast of the Metroplex, Kaufman has prospered from a diversified economy. The city bills itself as the Red Tail Hawk capital of Texas.
Visitors will enjoy the turn-of-the-century buildings that make up most of the town square.