The Chisholm Trail was named after Jesse Chisholm (1805 - 1868), a mixed-blood Cherokee guide and trader. Chisholm had moved goods and cattle over a part of the route and travelers began referring to it as Chisholm's Trail.
A more ordinary settler family was that of Samuel and Dorothy Cole. They built this cabin southeast of Hennessey in 1890. It was built of oak logs cut on the farm and hauled to the building site in a wagon drawn by a yoke of oxen.
From the start the settlers of Oklahoma made provisions for eduction. The proceeds form sections six and thirty-six of each township were reserved for schools. There were country schools every three miles with names like Pleasant Valley, Good Hope, or in this case Gant.