LASR.net Homepage



Menu

Kirbyville, Texas

Established in 1895 in east central Jasper County, Kirbyville is on the Gulf, Colorado, and Santa Fe Railroad, and the terminus of the Jasper and Eastern Railroad. Kirbyville was named for John Henry Kirby, who, along with R.P. Allen, laid out the townsite. Kirby was known as "Prince of the Pines," at one time producing more Southern Pine lumber than any man in the world.

Today, lumber is still king, but agribusiness and tourism play an important role in the economy. Kirbyville is minutes away from three popular lakes - Toledo Bend Reservoir, Sam Rayburn Reservoir, and B.A. Steinhagen Lake. It's right in the middle of national and state forests, as well as the Big Thicket National Preserve. Because of the abundance of trees, birding is a popular activity here. Residents salute the forests with the popular Magnolia Festival each April.

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Calaboose Museum

Under the direction of the Kirbyville Area Heritage Society, the museum contains artifacts, information, and history of local significance. Housed in old jail house built in 1910

Kirbyville, TX Museums

Exotic Cat Refuge & Wildlife Orphanage

Non-profit reserve offers refuge and rehabilitation to endangered exotic cats and other wildlife. It's a state and federally licensed orphanage for lions, tigers, leopards, cougars, bears, and wolves, to name a few. From U.S. 96, head east on Main St. one block to Elizabeth St.;

Kirbyville, TX Wildlife Refuges

Things to do near Kirbyville, TX

Cherokee Country Golf Association

Course Access: Semi-PrivateHoles: 9Reserve Advance Tee Times: Yes...

Harrison County Historical Museum

Temporarily housed in the Ginocchio Hotel while the former county courthouse is remodeled. Exhibits depict history of Marshal...

Nathan H. Davis Pioneer Complex & Museum

An example of a pioneer home, the Davis log house was originally built in 1851 for local attorney Nathan H. Davis. Furniture ...

Durst-Taylor Historic House and Gardens

Durst-Taylor Historic House and Gardens is a circa 1835 wood-frame house interpreted to the 1840 to 1860 time period when the...