LASR.net Homepage




Menu


Lakin, Kansas

Lakin, Kansas

Lakin was one of the eight locations between Dodge City and the Colorado state line designated in 1872 by the A.T.& S.F. railroad as stations for the service of the new road.

The city of Lakin was founded in 1873 by John O'Loughlin to serve the needs of the pioneer spirit sweeping the nation. The O'Loughlin Trading Post, as it was then called, did a thriving business with government troops, freighters, buffalo hunters, cowboys and with Indians. Famous chiefs including Little Robe, Black Kettle, Satanta, Dull Knife and Little Raven led their warriors along the white man's road.

There was never a dull day on this highway. General Sheridan was stationed at Fort Hays, and used it as a base against the Indians.

The city was named after David Long Lakin, who was a trustee for the railroad company.

Cattlemen established ranches up and down the valley, driving thousands of head from Texas and Old Mexico, fattening them on the vast pastures of buffalo grass and shipping them out by rail. Lakin became a shipping point for all southwest Kansas.


Kearny County has 9,852 acres of walk-in hunting.

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Charlie's Ruts

About four miles east of Lakin on highway 50

Lakin, KS Pioneer History

Lakin Municipal Golf Course

The course, 9 holes with grass greens, was one of the first in southwest Kansas with an underground sprinkler system and bluegrass fairways. It\'s located at Louck\'s Park.

Lakin, KS Golf Courses

Chouteau's Island

Chouteau's Island was the largest island of timber on the Arkansas River in this area. In the spring of 1816, Auguste Pierre Chouteau was returning to Missouri with several other fur trappers when they were attacked by a large party of Pawnee Indians. Chouteau'

Lakin, KS Pioneer History

Historic Churches

The Lakin Christian Church was organized in 1901 in the old courthouse building, and the existing building was dedicated in 1908.

The church is made of concrete, is nearly square, and has a splendid seating capacity.

Lincoln and Buffalo Streets

Lakin, KS Historic Churches

Columbian School House

The Columbian Schoolhouse, built in 1893, was named after the Columbian Exposition held in Chicago. Later shortened to Columbia, the school conducted its last class approximately 1945. This one room school was moved to the museum site from 15 miles north of Lakin and restored in 1984.

Lakin, KS Historic Schoolhouses

Things to do near Lakin, KS

Horse Thief Reservoir Fishing Reports

WHAT TO KNOW ABOUT ACCURATE FISHING REPORTS: This is just to remind you that fishing reports are given with the bes...

palace theater

Historic restored theater from the pre 20's/// have pictures, if interested??? mike ordway...

C & D's World on Wheels

Go-Karts, Bumper Cars, Mini golf, Roller Skating, Arcade Games, Food Court. Book the banquet room for your party!...