LASR.net Homepage




Menu

Largest Jack Rabbit


category : One Of A Kinds
The "World's Largest Jack Rabbit" was first pioneered by former Attorney General John Ben Shepperd during his term as Odessa Chamber of Commerce president in 1962. Tom Taylor, who is the former head of the Texas Highway Department Travel and Information Division first initiated the idea of the fiberglass statue. Taylor suggested that the city erect a monument to the jack rabbit, since there were so many in the area. In 1962, Odessa Chamber of Commerce officials, under the leadership of John Ben Shepperd, erected the 8-foot statue on Lincoln Street.

The $2,300 statue was designed by a California plastics firm. The jack rabbit had been the target of many rumors and controversies. At one time an unsuccessful attempt was made by local school children to secure a mate for the "lonely rabbit." In 1970, then Chamber President Dan Hemphill called upon his directors to "correct" the naming of the statue. Hemphill contended that the jack rabbit really wasn't a rabbit at all, but a hare-a prairie hare, to be exact.

In 1997, a rabbit-napping was attempted. Which is now why Jack Ben Rabbit remains bolted to the cement slab on the grounds of the Ector County Independent School District Administration building.

The "World's Largest Jack Rabbit" has become an historical landmark in Odessa. In spite of all the events many people from all over have come and continue to visit Odessa to see what the rabbit is all about.


Come visit us in Odessa, Texas

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Largest Jack Rabbit

The "World's Largest Jack Rabbit" was first pioneered by former Attorney General John Ben Shepperd during his term as Odessa Chamber of Commerce president in 1962

Odessa, TX One Of A Kinds

The Globe Theatre

A bit of Elizabethan England comes to life during the Odessa Shakespeare Festival at The Globe Theatre of the Great Southwest, Shakespearean Library & Anne Hathaway Cottage, modeled after Shakespeare'

Odessa, TX Theatres

Pecos Depot

This landmark depot was purchased from the Panhandle- Santa Fe Railway in 1972. Built in 1892 it served as a railway terminal until 1950. It was then moved to Odessa and next to the historical Barn Door Restaurant in 1972

Odessa, TX Railroad History

Texon Santa Fe Depot Museum

The Town of Texon, Texas was founded in 1924 by the Big Lake Oil Company. Texon was established on the railroad line owned by the Kansas City, Mexico, and Orient of Texas Railroad. This railroad line extended from San Angelo to Alpine and survived mainly on Texas oil traffic. In 1924

Odessa, TX Railroad History

Ratliff Ranch Golf Links

Odessa's 18 hole, municipal course is open to the public on a daily-fee basis.

Odessa, TX Golf Courses

Things to do One Of A Kinds near Odessa, TX

Largest Jack Rabbit

The "World's Largest Jack Rabbit" was first pioneered by former Attorney General John Ben Shepperd during his term as Odessa ...

Paisano Pete

At 20 feet long and 11 feet tall, Pete is probably the world's largest roadrunner. A popular photo subject. ...