LASR.net Homepage




Menu

Lawrence County Bank Building


category : Historic Buildings
ON THE NATIONAL REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES

This historic building still stands at the corner of Walnut and Commercial Street in downtown Pierce City even after the May 2003 tornado and subsequent demolition of most of the business district.

Of course it once housed the Lawrence County Bank, but the building has also seen a restaurant, a taxidermist, a book store and other businesses within its walls.

A photo studio opened in this building in 2006.

Information from the National Register of Historic Places:
Lawrence County Bank Building (added 2005 - Building - #05000119)
100 W. Commercial St., Pierce City
Historic Significance: Event, Architecture/Engineering
Architect, builder, or engineer: Legg, Jerome B.
Architectural Style: Romanesque
Area of Significance: Commerce, Architecture
Period of Significance: 1875-1899, 1925-1949
Owner: Private
Historic Function: Commerce/Trade
Historic Sub-function: Financial Institution
Current Function: Commerce/Trade
Current Sub-function: Business


Hours: Monday thru Sunday
Address: Walnut and Commercial Street

Come visit us in Pierce City, Missouri

Attractions and Upcoming Events

First Baptist Church (no longer standing)

THIS BUILDING WAS DEMOLISHED AFTER EXTENSIVE DAMAGE FROM THE MAY 4, 2003, TORNADO. THE FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH'S NEW BUILDING IS LOCATED ON HWY 97 JUST NORTH OF LAWRENCE COUNTY ROAD 2220 (POWERLINE ROAD).

The Friendship Baptist Church was organized in 1840

Pierce City, MO Historic Churches

Military Memorials

For those interested in military machinery, the following memorials can be seen on a short day trip to the following cites around the Pierce City area.

Pierce City, MO - M4 Sherman Tank

Cassville, MO - M60A3 Main Battle Tank

Purdy, MO - A-4 Skyhawk Fighter-bomber

Pierce City, MO Memorials

St. Mary's Catholic Church

Up to 1883 all Catholics in the area belonged to St. Patrick's Church which was organized in 1871. But owing to the increased immigration of the Germans and Poles, some of these members requested Bishop Hogan for a parish of their own. The first St. Mary'

Pierce City, MO Historic Churches


First United Methodist Church

The United Methodist Church was built in 1881 at a location a few blocks north of its present location in 1903. Originally in the 1870s, the Methodist Episcopal Church and the Methodist Episcopal Church, South groups met in homes until both were able to build in 1881. In 1903

Pierce City, MO Historic Churches

Things to do Historic Buildings near Pierce City, MO

Lawrence County Bank Building

ON THE NATIONAL REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES This historic building still stands at the corner of Walnut and Commercial Str...