LASR.net Homepage




Menu


Little Nemaha River Bridge - NHR


category : National Register

As indicated by a builder's plate on the bridge itself, the structure was erected in 1901 by the John Gilligan
Company of Falls City, Nebraska. Marketed extensively by virtually all of the in-state bridge contractors and
promoted in the form of standardized designs by the Nebraska State Engineer's office, the pinned Pratt pony
truss was used widely by Nebraska's counties to carry roads over the state's myriad small streams. Thousands
of such small-scale trusses were erected across the state in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, and
many remain today. The Little Nemaha River Bridge, located near Syracuse, is technologically significant as one
of the earliest examples in Nebraska of this common type, and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.



Come visit us in Syracuse, Nebraska

Attractions and Upcoming Events


Otoe County Museum of Memories

The Museum of Memories is a three-building complex operated by a group of volunteer's who work at the museum each week. The museum began in 1973 after the property was donated by the members of the Irish Lutheran Church of Syracuse. The property consisted of an over 100

Syracuse, NE Museums

Syracuse Churches

Syracuse Churches welcome you!

Church of Christ - 17th and Parker Drive

Luther Memorial Church - 1162 Mohawk

St. Paulinus Catholic Church - Poplar and 5th St.

Syracuse Baptist Church - 254 7th St.

Syracuse, NE


Outdoor Murals

Displayed on the exterior walls of two downtown businesses are two outdoor murals painted by artist, E. Henke, 1991-1999 depicting the light-hearted lifestyles of Syracuse'

Syracuse, NE Arts

Things to do National Register near Syracuse, NE

Oto Agency (Barneston Site) Historical Marker

The Oto tribe signed an 1854 treaty relinquishing their territory west of the Missouri River except for a 250-square-mile ...

Little Nemaha River Bridge - NHR

As indicated by a builder's plate on the bridge itself, the structure was erected in 1901 by the John Gilligan ...