Originally called Plum Creek, Lockhart is near the site of the fierce battle that took place August 12, 1840. A large war party of Comanches successfully swept down on Guadalupe Valley all the way to the Gulf Coast, killing settlers, stealing horses, and plundering and burning settlements. A volunteer force of settlers and Texas Rangers met the returning war party and defeated them at what is called the Battle of Plum Creek. The present city is named for Byrd Lockhart, pioneer surveyor. Lockhart was the southern terminus of the Chisholm Trail in the 1870s.
Today, Lockhart is the center for agriculture, farming, oil and other diversified industries.