Theron Bennett, nationally known ragtime composer, lived in Pierce City until returning from college 1902 when he left to begin a career where his unseen future would become the past that we can now recall as his successful contribution to the music world.
The Chapman School was built in 1884 and originally located on the Chapman property about 2 miles from the Park. First called the "Hazel Hill," the school was later renamed "Hazel Dell," and eventually "Chapman." When it was closed in 1951
Dr. Hansard sold the west section of his property on Washington Street for the construction of St. Patrick's Catholic Church in 1901. The house was built circa 1872 and is now privately owned and beautifully maintained in its historical style.