George E. Mack received a land grant after serving in the U.S. Army in the Civil War. He pitched his tent in western Stafford County in 1877 among other settlers. He donated sites for a Methodist Church and parsonage, and a city park, and built himself a house with shipped-in lumber. On May 26th 1879 he was appointed Postmaster. In 1885, the town was platted, and the arrival of the Santa Fe railroad made the town blossom.