Settled in 1845 and incorporated in 1848, McKinney is the seat of Collin County. Both the city and county were named for Collin McKinney, a signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence and leader in the establishment of the Disciples of Christ (Christian Church) in Texas. A wide variety of local industries contributes to city's economy.
The Historic Courthouse Square includes more than 100 shops featuring American and European antiques, art galleries, restaurants, speciality shops and more. The Old Collin County Courthouse was built in 1874 and was remodeled to its current Neoclassical facade in 1927.