LASR.net Homepage




Menu

McPherson Opera House


category : Opera Houses
McPherson Opera House Built in 1888, the McPherson Opera House was considered one of the most elaborate and architecturally sound in the state. This three-story architectural showpiece, listed on the National Register of Historic Places had a seating capacity of 900 and was, and remains, accoustically perfect. The stately exterior had molded brick trim, varied limestone arches and cornice treatments, and an impressive South entrance flanked by granite columns and enhanced with colored glass. The building is Eclectic/Victorian style with many kinds of decorative brick. The building was lighted by electricity, a technological advancement for its time. The seating areas included the dress circle, parquet, the gallery and two box seats and the original stage curtains, chairs, and carpeting were predominately red.

During its prime, the Opera House hosted more big names and noteworthy events than the city has witnessed before or since. Not only opera companies but all sorts of professional musical and dramatic groups arrived by one of the four railroads which served the city. Local residents could enjoy presentations of "The Mikado", "Tea for Three", "Lassies White", "Mutt and Jeff's Dream", "The Marriage Question", Ibsen's "Ghosts", as well as shows by Harvey's Greater Minstrels who arrived in their own steel Pullman car. Politicians, too, frequented the city. Some of those who appeared from time to time were Judge Samuel Greene of Boston, Senator Arthur Capper, Attorney General Hopkins, Senators Charles Curtis and Chester I. Long, Supreme Court Justice Frank Doster, Secretary of Agriculture Henry C. Wallace, and presidential candidate William Jennings Bryan.

The Opera House is currently under restoration and preservation.


Address: 221 South Main Street
Phone: 620-241-1952
Our Email: mohpc@mpks.net
Our Website:www.mcphersonks.org

For more information, please contact: McPherson Opera House Preservation Company
P.O. Box 616
McPherson, KS 67460

Come visit us in McPherson, Kansas

Attractions and Upcoming Events

McPherson County Courthouse

The cornerstone for this magnificent city landmark was laid in 1894 at a building cost of $35,000. The courthouse, built of native Kansas limestone, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, and was completely refurbished in 1980. The 105

McPherson, KS Historic Courthouses

McPherson Opera House

Built in 1888, the McPherson Opera House was considered one of the most elaborate and architecturally sound in the state. This three-story architectural showpiece, listed on the National Register of Historic Places had a seating capacity of 900

McPherson, KS Opera Houses

McPherson Valley Wetlands

The wetlands are managed primarily for waterfowl and other hunting during the season and wildlife viewing the rest of the year. Public hunting is allowed on most of this almost 4,000 acre area. Sportsmen should check with the wildlife manager for possible changes in areas open to hunting.

McPherson, KS Recreation

McPherson Museum

The McPherson Museum'

McPherson, KS Museums


Things to do Opera Houses near McPherson, KS