Established in 1852 as Perry, Texas, by settlers from Perry, Illinois, the city was renamed Moody in 1881, to honor Col. W. L. Moody, director of the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railroad, when that line was built through town. Moody Drug, established in 1881, is one of oldest drug stores in Texas. The Moody Courier, established in 1889, is city's second oldest business. Moody's varied architecture is of interest. A Texas A&M experimental farm is located 5 miles north.