Mount Vernon, Ohio
Upcoming Events in Mount Vernon Ohio
Annual Ohio's Largest Garage and Craft Sale
- Tools, toys, antiques, crafts, food and bargains galore are all included in this very popular annual event sponsored by the Mount Vernon Lions Club.
Address: Knox County Fairgrounds
|6 - 9||National Waco Reunion Biplane Fly In - Fly In Reunion of Antique Waco Biplanes sponsored by National Waco club. All are invited to this free public event that includes flying and field demonstrations as well as interaction with pilots and rides.|
|14 - 20||Knox County Fair - Today, the Knox Country Fair highlights the awareness of agriculture as an important and continuing industry in the county. Each year a strong emphasis is placed on youth activities and accomplishments. Enjoy food, games, 4-H livestock and exhibits, truck-tractor pull, harness racing, and performances by national music stars.|
|1 - 4||
Dan Emmett Music & Arts Festival
- Music, crafts, cars and family fun abound at the Dan Emmett Music and Arts Festival. Held to celebrate the legacy of Daniel Decatur Emmett, author of such songs as "Dixie" and "Turkey in the Straw," the Dan Emmett Music and Arts Festival showcases artists and musicians performing such styles as bluegrass, country, folk, oldies, rock-n-roll, Christian and big band.
Held on Wednesday through Sunday of the second week of August, the Festival's trademark is its outstanding music and entertainment format and a juried artisan exhibition offering awards for artistry and presentation.
Musical entertainment in the past has included such artists as Arlo Guthrie, The Letterman, Phil Dirt and the Dozers, The Kingston Trio, Arnette Howard, Jazz Arts Group of Columbus, The Four Aces, Back Beat, The Four Lads, Jan & Dean, The All-Ohio State Fair Band, The Avalons, Joey Dee & The Starlighters, The Vogues, and Paul Revere and The Raiders.
Visitors can take time out to see the historic sites of Mount Vernon including Dan Emmett's birthplace and the Woodward Opera House, America's oldest authentic 19th century theater.
For family fun and much more visit the Dan Emmett Music & Arts Festival.
|16||Mohican-Kokosing Valley Fall Foliage Tours - Enjoy Knox County's beautifully colored autumn and bronzing trees throughout the whole month of October. Driving tour maps are available to guide you through this scenic fall route.|
|21 - 22||
Heart of Ohio Tour
- The Heart of Ohio Tour is a free scenic tour of agriculture related operations in Knox County. The tour includes stops at working Farms. Traditionally stops include: dairy, beef, sheep and grain operations. Other unique stops may also be featured. It is a relaxing day for the entire family!
Simple Goods Show
- A gathering of country folk who have wonderful collections of primitive goods and antiques for sale! Please join us on Saturday, November 5, 2011, from 9AM to 3PM, at the Dan Emmett Conference Center.
Address: 160 Howard Street, Mt. Vernon, Ohio 43050 , Mount Vernon, Ohio
Mount Vernon's Annual Christmas Parade & Walk
- The holiday season in Mount Vernon is filled with many activities for the family. On the Sunday after Thanksgiving, Mount Vernon celebrates the start of the Christmas season with its annual Christmas Walk and Parade.
The Christmas Parade features many entries decorated to fit the theme of the year. Santa makes his grand appearance at the Parade with the procession beginning at the Buckeye Candy Building at 2:30 pm. Come early to enjoy the Christmas Walk with the Heritage Centre district shopping and activities starting at 1:00 pm. The Buckeye Candy Building will be open with the Mount Bernon Makers Market set up with many local artisans selling their wares, all handmade here in Knox County.
The fun continues with Downtown stores open for visitors to shop, browse, or just get ideas for Christmas gifts. Chestnuts, roasted on an open fire, are available with coffee, hot chocolate and kettle corn. A Carousel on West Vine Street and a Holiday Train will be giving rides around the streets of downtown Mount Vernon.
Music of the season fills the area when choral groups carol while strolling down the streets and various local musicians perform at designated spots along the Walk. Those wanting to experience the history of Mount Vernon will have a chance to tour our historic landmark, the Woodward Opera House open during the Walk.
At the end of the day, everyone is invited to partake in the lighting of the Christmas tree and Caroling for Christ with the Salvation Army Band directed by Major Robert Bender. This tradition that you won't want to miss, with the addition of new lights on the large evergreen across from City Hall.
Visitors to Mount Vernon during the Christmas season will experience the joy and warmth of the people of Mount Vernon at the Christmas Walk and Parade.