LASR.net Homepage




Menu


Nelson, Nebraska

Nelson, Nebraska

As the great wave of settlers was arriving in Nebraska, a town called "Nelson" was established near the center of Nuckolls County. Land owned by Horatio Nelson Wheeler was proclaimed the county seat and the owner's middle name, Nelson, was given to the territory. These early settlers, many of whom had lived in good style in the east, had moved to this treeless prairie, where coyotes serenaded them at night and water was hauled from a community spring. The Nuckolls County Courthouse, built in 1890, now stands as a landmark.

Nelson has a swimming pool, a nine-hole sand-green golf course, a 45-bed skilled care Good Samaritan nursing home, and a new junior-senior school, which now serves Nelson and Nora students.

It takes a lot of enthusiasm and volunteer effort to make a small town a good place to live. The citizens of Nelson need not take a back seat to our pioneers in their determination and faith in the future.

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Elk Creek Country Club

The Elk Creek Country Club has a 9-hole, grass green golf course with very reasonable rates open to the public.

Nelson, NE Recreation

Veteran's Memorial

An active American Legion Post provides a "Memory Lane of Flags" that flies at the courthouse and cemetery each Memorial Day. The flags also fly on the courthouse lawn on Flag Day,

Nelson, NE Memorials

Harbine RV Park

Municipal water, Electric, Sewer, Dump, Grills, Drinking water, Swimming.

Nelson, NE RV Parks

Nuckolls County Courthouse

With a population of 733, Nelson continues to serve as the county seat. The beautifully renovated 100-year-old courthouse stands on a hill overlooking the town. It was built in 1890 and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. During the Christmas season the many beautiful

Nelson, NE Historic Courthouses

Things to do near Nelson, NE

Oto Agency (Barneston Site) Historical Marker

The Oto tribe signed an 1854 treaty relinquishing their territory west of the Missouri River except for a 250-square-mile ...