New London, Texas
In 1855 with the westward expansion, a post office called London was established and served until 1876. Agriculture was the main source of income. In 1930, the discovery of oil a few miles from the community gave way to the growth of a boomtown, almost overnight. A new post office was established in 1931, but since there was another post office named London in Southwest Texas, New London was chosen.
A tragic school explosion in 1937 killed almost 300 children and teachers. A cenotaph of Texas granite was erected in front of the new school in 1939 in tribute to those who lost their lives in the worst school disaster in U.S. history.
Agriculture, cattle and oil-related business still form the economy.