LASR.net Homepage




Menu


Newton, Kansas

Newton, Kansas

Newton's history begins in 1870 with the arrival of Judge R.W.P Muse, a railroad agent representing the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe, who was investigating possibilities for extending the railroad. Located on the Chisholm Trail, Newton seemed a very logical location for a Santa Fe terminal. By 1871, the new town had been named by a group of Santa Fe stockholders after their hometown, Newton, Massachusetts. With the completion of the railroad line in 1871, along with stockyards and loading chutes, came a shift in the cattle trade from Abilene to Newton. Newton became the West's newest cowtown and soon became known as "Bloody and lawless - the wickedest city in the west" enjoying the cowboy reign from June 1871 to January 1873. Completion of the Santa Fe to Dodge City and a branch to Wichita drew the cowboys to these places, ushering in more peaceful and prosperous times.

In 1874 Mennonites came to Newton, bringing Turkey Red hard winter wheat to the area on a large scale. Mennonite immigrant Bernhard Warkentin was instrumental in the development of Newton. Warkentin's efforts with hard winter wheat made Kansas known as the "breadbasket of the world."

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Camp Hawk

The 43 acre park contains a 4 acre pond stocked with channel catfish, crappie, largemouth bass and sunfish. Park facilities include an enclosed shelter house (available by reservation) which contains a kitchenette, restrooms, fireplace and a large meeting room for 100

Newton, KS Recreation

Newton Station

The Newton Station, completed in 1930, was built during the Depression for 350,000. Modeled after Shakespeare's house at Stratford-on-Avon, the Newton Station was home to a Harvey House between 1930 and 1955

Newton, KS Historic Buildings

500 Main Place

Across the street from the Newton Station stands the historic Railroad Savings and Loan Building now known as 500 Main Place. The Railroad Savings and Loan Association, organized 30 years before the bank was built in 1925

Newton, KS Historic Buildings

Harvey County East Park

Activities in and around the 320 acre lake include nature trails, boating, swimming, water-skiing, and fishing for walleye, channel catfish, largemouth bass, crappie and sunfish. No hunting is allowed. Camping (electrical hook-ups available)

Newton, KS Recreation

Harvey County West Park

Harvey County West Park is approximately 17.5 northwest of Newton on 310 acres. Located on the Little Arkansas River, this heavily wooded park provides ample opportunity for enjoying the natural beauty of this area. No hunting is allowed here. There is a 16

Newton, KS Recreation

Things to do near Newton, KS

19th Century Cemetery

Look for 19th-century graves of American, German, and Russian settlers at the Pawnee Rock city cemetery, located a half-mile ...

Congregation Church

Built in 1913, the Congregational Church was later sold to the United Brethren and is still standing although it is now owned...

Fishing

At present the lake is going to be restocked in early 2014 by the state since it was totally dry in 2013. Check with the...