LASR.net Homepage



Menu

German Village Historic District


category : Other Attractions

In 1973, German Village was the first Historic District to be established in Hamilton.  In 1989, this district was listed on the National Register of Historical Places. German Village is fortunate to have many of Hamilton's most beautiful historic buildings proudly preserved within a nine-square block district starting at North Third and Dayton Streets in Hamilton. German Village was the first residential development outside of Fort Hamilton and was included in the original layout of the City of Hamilton.

Construction in the early 1800s was mostly frame and reflected several different periods of 19th century architecture: Queen Anne, Italianate, Eastlake, Gothic Revival and Greek Revival. The neighborhood housed both prominent businessmen and laborers, resulting in a number of significant and unusual buildings. By the 1840s and the completion of the nearby Hydraulic Canal, a wave of German immigrants had arrived and Hamilton was becoming a prominent industrial center. Lampposts, red brick sidewalks, and window boxes today provide nostalgic atmosphere for the current residential homes and businesses. 

Christmas Walk in the Village ... a Hamilton tradition for over 15 years ... celebrates the spirit of Christmas past and present in full Victorian splendor.  Many businesses, organizations and private residences open their doors to the public for this free event.


Hours: Monday: 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Tuesday: 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM

Address: German Village Historic District

319 North Second Street

Third Street at Dayton Lane

Phone: (513) 868-9000
Our Email: HamiltonOHCVB@fuse.net
Our Website:www.hamilton-cvb.com

Come visit us in Hamilton, Ohio

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Pyramid Hill Sculpture Park

One of just ten sculpture parks of its size in the U.S and the only sculpture park of its type in Ohio, Pyramid Hill is a 265

Hamilton, OH Arts

Rossville Historic District

Rossville, on the west side of the Great Miami River, existed as a separate city from 1810 to 1854 when it merged with the city of Hamilton. The area is bounded by Main Street, The Great Miami River, Millikin Street and South ?D? Street. With 116 buildings, most of which were built between 1840

Hamilton, OH Other Attractions

Hamilton OH City of Sculpture

On August 16, 2000, Hamilton received Governor Bob Taft's recognition as "The City of Sculpture.?

Hamilton, OH Other Attractions

Fitton Center for Creative Arts

Reporters have called Fitton Center for Creative Arts ?a Mecca for the arts? and ?the cornerstone of downtown Hamilton?s renaissance.? It is popular with residents and visitors alike, attracting over 100,000 visitors annually.

Hamilton, OH Arts

Butler County Courthouse

One of the county?s foremost active landmarks, this grand, four-story structure is an outstanding example of Second Empire architecture built in the late nineteenth century. The cornerstone was placed in 1885, and the $305,000 structure was occupied February 4, 1889.

Hamilton, OH Other Attractions

Things to do Other Attractions near Hamilton, OH

Hamilton Welcome Center

Located within the Historic Anthony Wayne facility, the Hamilton Welcome Center is home to the Greater Hamilton Convention &a...

Meier's Wine Cellars, Inc.

Visit Meier's, Ohio's oldest and largest winery, for unique wine accessories, gifts, and wine making supplies. Table wines,...

Hamilton OH City of Sculpture

On August 16, 2000, Hamilton received Governor Bob Taft's recognition as "The City of Sculpture.? Since then, a full Boa...

Heritage Hall

Located inside the former Hamilton Municipal Building, the new Heritage Hall and Robert McCloskey Museum officially opened on...

Hyatt Place - Mason

Hyatt Place offers attractively-designed suites with upscale amenities such as in-room microwaves and refrigerators, wireless...