LASR.net Homepage



Menu

Radium Town and the Keller Bath House


category : Historic Buildings
Radium Town and the Keller Bath House An area in the north section of Claremore was once known as RADIUM TOWN. George Eaton owned the first oil company in town. In 1903, he was drilling east of town for oil or gas. Instead, he found a "rotten-egg-smelling" water. Dr. W.G. Williams had the water analyzed for medical use and then marketed it as a cure. Bath houses were built and "radium water" baths became Claremore's biggest industry. The bath houses are now closed, and the area is in a stage of disrepair. The wells remain and are just waiting for the right investors to take up the dream of better health through the magical cure of mineral water.

To drive to this area of town be on Blue Starr Drive, to Dorothy Street (one block past Sioux). When Dorothy Street splits, stay right, and you will be on Seminole. When you get to 9th Street, turn left (east).

From 9th Street, turn right on Lavira to the KELLER BATH HOUSE, listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The two-story brick bath house has beautiful ornate wrought iron trim and was built in the 1900's. Once called the Mendenhall Bath, House, one could get a radium water bath for 25¢.


Address: 7th and Lavira

Come visit us in Claremore, Oklahoma

Attractions and Upcoming Events

J. M. Davis Arms & Historic Museum

The Davis Arms Museum contains the world's largest collection of guns with over 20,000 on display. It is also the home for a large collection of John Rogers statuaries, a stein collection, swords, saddles, Indian artifacts,

Claremore, OK Museums

Christ Presbyterian Church

The Christ Presbyterian Church was purchased from the First United Methodist Church in 1990. In 1882, a one-room frame building was constructed after $500 was given by the Methodist General Conference to erect a house of worship. The church was served by "Circuit Rider" preachers until 1907

Claremore, OK Historic Churches

Radium Town and the Keller Bath House

An area in the north section of Claremore was once known as RADIUM TOWN. George Eaton owned the first oil company in town. In 1903, he was drilling east of town for oil or gas. Instead, he found a "rotten-egg-smelling"

Claremore, OK Historic Buildings

Will Rogers Center

The WILL ROGERS HOTEL, listed on the National Register of Historic Places was dedicated in 1930. The fireproof structure of concrete and steel originally contained 78 rooms and 7 apartments. During World War II, it was designated as a bomb shelter. Mineral water baths called "radium water"

Claremore, OK Historic Hotels

Claremore Lake

Claremore Lake features 500 surface acres for boating and great bass fishing (no swimming allowed). There are 2 boat ramps, courtesy dock and 3 fishing piers, 1 for senior citizens and disabled children, 2 for general public use. Enhancing the lake is a 60

Claremore, OK Recreation

Things to do Historic Buildings near Claremore, OK

Old Will Rogers Library

The Old Will Rogers Library is now occupied by the City of Claremore. A year before his death, Will Rogers donated his lots i...

Price Tower

Circa 1956, The 19-story glass and copper skyscraper by Frank Lloyd Wright. The design is based on a diamond module of 30 and...