The heart of Okmulgee is the town square featuring the Creek Council House Museum. Erected in 1878, the museum building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is acknowledged as a National Historic Landmark. The Museum was established in 1923
Episcopal Church - Built in 1902, the building was originally the home of the Methodist Church and remained so until 1911, when it was purchased by the Episcopal Church for the sum of $2,000. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Entertainment came of age in Okmulgee as a result of oil money. Okmulgee was home to two Vaudeville theatres, one of which still stands today. The Orpheum Theatre has undergone renovation and features first run movies and special events today.
The Cook Theatre was built by L.H.D. Cook (
OSU-Okmulgee is a vital part of the community. The university, with a world-class reputation, provides over 40 degree programs in advancing technologies and an outstanding culinary arts program as well.