LASR.net Homepage




Menu


Oskaloosa, Kansas

Oskaloosa, Kansas

Oskaloosa is located in the hub of northeast Kansas. It is located within minutes of Kansas city, Lawrence and Topeka, and is the commercial center of Jefferson County. Established in 1856, Oskaloosa became the county seat in 1858 and was named after Oskaloosa, Iowa, hometown of Jesse Newell, founder of the new Oskaloosa.

Oskaloosa is located on two major intersecting highways and is near airports, the State Capitol, Fort Leavenworth, and five colleges and many culture centers.

Oskaloosa is home to Old Jefferson Town, a real life display of vintage structures from throughout Jefferson County. The collection includes, a church, school, blacksmith shop, general store, Victorian Home, art gallery, and genealogical center.

The city is within minutes from two bed and breakfasts and a golf course. Lake Perry is a great attraction for this area. With its fishing, boating, swimming, and hunting it is a mecca for sporting recreation.

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Edmonds Chapel

Edmonds Chapel stood 4 1/2 miles north of McLouth, Kansas, for more than 75 years. Edmonds Church was an affiliate of the United Brethren in Christ (UB), though people from many denominations worshipped there down through the years.

Oskaloosa, KS Historic Churches

Wellman Schoolhouse

The school was built in 1887 on the homestead of Harrison W. Wellman, in the southeast part of Jefferson County. It is typical of the many one-room country schools that were located every few miles within the county and throughout the country. School Ditrict #70 was formed in 1871

Oskaloosa, KS Pioneer Life


Nincehelser House

William J. Nincehelser moved to Jefferson County from Ohio about 1880, married Minnie Wendorff, and moved into this house in Oskaloosa. Mr. Nincehelser had a livery stable on the square and operated a

Oskaloosa, KS Museums

Bowstring Bridge

Built in Cleveland, Ohio, the bowstring bridge was originally located across Rock Creek, north of Meridan, in 1875.

The 48-ft long, 14-ft wide bridge was placed on the National Register of Historic Places on January 4, 1990

Oskaloosa, KS National Register

Things to do near Oskaloosa, KS