Pharr was established in 1909, and named after Henry N. Pharr, sugar planter from Louisiana. The town is a center for winter vegetables, citrus and cotton. Home to many Winter Texans, visitors will find modern RV resorts and tourist-related activities. Access to Mexico is available via U.S. 281 and the Pharr/Reynosa International Bridge.
The St. Jude's Catholic Church features beautiful gardens offering a peaceful setting for quiet meditations. The gardens are always open. Memorial Park honors area veterans lost or missing in combat during wartime and is located at the corner of Egly and Canna Streets.