The railroad offered a city block to the citizens of Holdrege if they would build a courthouse. The ambitious merchants promptly provided the funds and the cornerstone was dedicated on October 10, 1884. Subsequently, the voters approved removal of the county seat to Holdrege on November 11 of that year. To avoid possible litigation over the matter, the records were "removed for safe keeping" (stolen) and county officers conducted business from various locations until the new building was ready to be occupied. The deed to the courthouse was presented at the July 4th celebration. A week later the officers moved in, although the building had not yet been painted.
The courthouse is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Address: 5th Ave. between East and West Aves.
Come visit us in Holdrege, Nebraska