Plano was first settled in 1845, and named Fillmore for Millard Fillmore. The name was changed in 1851 when the post office was granted. In 1881, most of the city was destroyed by fire, and then again, another major fire in 1895 also destroyed many businesses. Many early buildings survived and are described in an historical guide available at the Chamber of Commerce. Historic downtown Plano with its brick streets has under-gone a revitalization project with brick sidewalks, turn-of-the-century lampposts, and a plaza to enhance its specialty shops, boutiques, galleries, and restaurants. With the growth of nearby Dallas, Plano grew from 3,695 in 1960 to 72,331 in 1980.
Plano has become known as the "Balloon Capital of Texas" with hot-air balloon races scheduled in September. A large arts & crafts fair is held in conjunction with the balloon festival.