LASR.net Homepage




Menu

Pottawatomie Creek Bridge


category : Historic Bridges
Pottawatomie Creek Bridge The Pottawatomie Creek Bridge which spans Pottawatomie Creek at Sixth Street is one of two Marsh Arch triple span bridges located at Osawatomie. The other spans the Marias de Cygnes River at Eighth Street, and both are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

James B. Marsh patented design used rainbow arches that would expand and contract along with the bridge floor under varying conditions of moisture and temperature. The Pottawatomie Creek Bridge, built in 1932, reaches 120 feet into the air and contains 1,500 cubic yards of concrete and 313,000 pounds of steel. This is one of only eight Marsh Arch triple span bridges remaining in Kansas.


Address: Sixth Street
Phone: 913-755-4114

Come visit us in Osawatomie, Kansas

Attractions and Upcoming Events

John Brown Memorial Park

The twenty acre John Brown Memorial Park is a National Historic Site donated to the State of Kansas by the Womens Relief Corps to preserve the site of the Battle of Osawatomie, August 30, 1856

Osawatomie, KS Memorials

Pottawatomie Creek Bridge

The Pottawatomie Creek Bridge which spans Pottawatomie Creek at Sixth Street is one of two Marsh Arch triple span bridges located at Osawatomie. The other spans the Marias de Cygnes River at Eighth Street, and both are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Osawatomie, KS Historic Bridges

Old Stone Church

One of the first churches in Kansas, this church was built by a Congregationalist group and is typical of the church structures built during pioneer days in Kansas.

Osawatomie, KS Historic Churches

First Land Office

This land office building was built in 1854 and was used by the first mayor of Osawatomie, H. B. Smith, and his brother who were the first land patent agents in the territory. It was deeded to the city in 1954 by A. W. Youngberg as a memorial to his wife.

Osawatomie, KS Pioneer Life

Adair Cabin State Historic Site and Museum

The territorial log cabin, which now houses the John Brown Museum, was built in 1854 as the home of Reverend Samuel L. and Florella (John Brown's half sister) Adair. The home was frequented by Brown during his several journeys to Kansas between 1855 and 1858. The Adairs shared John Brown'

Osawatomie, KS Museums

Things to do Historic Bridges near Osawatomie, KS