Saint Jo, Texas
Saint Jo was originally known as Head of Elm when it was established in 1856 on the springs that were headwaters of the Elm Fork of the Trinity River. It was later renamed for Joe Howell who laid out the townsite. Howell allegedly opposed the sale of liquor in town, thus giving both himself and town the name of "Saint Jo." The community located on U.S. 82 between Wichita Falls and Sherman was an important watering stop where the Chisholm Trail and the California Road crossed. Raids took place as late as 1874.