Located in southeastern Dallas County, the first settlers of Seagoville arrived in the 1860s. In the 1870s, more pioneers settled in the area, including the town's founder, T. K. Seago, who built a general store there in 1876. The community was known as Seago until 1910, when the post office name was changed to Seagoville. Seagoville's growth has paralleled that of the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex. The Seagoville Federal Correctional Institute is located here.