LASR.net Homepage




Menu

Adair County Courthouse


category : Historic Courthouses
Adair County Courthouse After Governor Charles N. Haskell's declaration on May 6, 1910, that Stilwell was the permanent county seat of Adair County, the county records were moved from Westville to Stilwell for the last time.

A two-story frame school building, erected in 1902, was used until 1908 when a new brick building was built. Another courthouse was built in 1920 patterned after the Sequoyah County Courthouse using native stone. This building was used until it was questionably burned on December 30, 1929. Again county officials had to occupy rented quarters at $100.00 per month.

The current courthouse was completed in 1931, and stands on the same place as the previous stone building. The courthouse is constructed of granite, steel, and concrete and its cornice is faced with molded figures of Native American figureheads across the entire front.

In 1992, a veteran's memorial was dedicated on the front lawn of the courthouse.


Come visit us in Stilwell, Oklahoma

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Veteran's Memorial

In 1992, this patriotic memorial to the veteran's of all wars was dedicated on the front lawn of the Adair County Courthouse. "Lest We Forget" those men who made the ultimate sacrifice to ensure the peace and security of their fellow man.

Stilwell, OK Memorials

Fairfield Mission Monument

"Established among the western Cherokees by Dr. Marcus Palmer in 1829 under the auspices of Boston based American Board of Commissioners for Foreign Missions. First located in Pope County, Arkansas Territory, and known as Mulberry Mission.

Stilwell, OK Monuments

Starr Springs Monument

The Starr Springs area was first settled by the Benjamin Cooper family in 1834. It was the site of the Andrew Adair and George Washington Adair massacre in 1853

Stilwell, OK Monuments


Adair County Courthouse

After Governor Charles N. Haskell's declaration on May 6, 1910, that Stilwell was the permanent county seat of Adair County, the county records were moved from Westville to Stilwell for the last time. A two-story frame school building, erected in 1902, was used until 1908

Stilwell, OK Historic Courthouses

Things to do Historic Courthouses near Stilwell, OK