Established in 1880, Temple's first years of growth developed as a railroad town on the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railroad, and the Missouri, Kansas and Texas lines. Today, Temple is the retail trade and agricultural center, and one of the Southwest's leading medical centers, and growing industrial producer.
Medical facilities include the Scott and White Santa Fe Center, King's Daughters Hospital, Scott and White Hospital and Clinic, Olin E. Teague Veterans' Center, and Texas A&M University School of Medicine. It is also the location of Temple College. Temple has diversified industrial products, railroad shops, computer equipment, furniture, plastics, and oil field machinery, and a championship municipal golf course.
Temple lies on U.S. 190, a segment of the Ports to Plains Highway connecting the state's heartland to coastal ports.
Temple is the Texas Early Day Tractor and Engine Association's permanent home. A pioneer city is currently being developed on land at Nugent Ave. and Eberhardt west of the city. Shows are scheduled the first weekend in October & April featuring historic tractors, engines and allied activities and displays.
In l989 Temple was designated "Wildflower Capital of Texas." Self-guided tours and weekend events are held in March and April.