Texas City, Texas
Texas City shares its twin city heritage, business and living areas with La Marque. Texas City was originally called Shoal Point, and its real growth began in 1891 when financiers from Minnesota purchased the site for real estate, rail, and port development.
La Marque was originally known as Highland; its name was changed in 1882 when the post office was granted. It became a station on the International-Great Northern Railroad in 1896.
Today the two cities between Houston and Galveston are both a pleasant residential area and site of major industrial and port facilities. Industries include tin smelter, oil refineries, metal fabrication and chemical plants. The port ships grain, cotton, sulfur, petroleum and chemical products.
Recreational opportunities include boating, fishing, swimming, sailing and picnicking, a municipal golf course and an all-weather municipal shooting range.