The Hodgden House

category :
The Hodgden House The Hodgden House, built by Perry Hodgden, was the first private home to rebuild with stone after these fires. It was completed in 1878. The house was restored to its former elegance as one of the grand houses of Ellsworth in 1961.

The Ellsworth County Historical Society established a museum on the site in 1963. The house is filled with artifacts from those early days. The Hodgden House Museum Complex is decorated for Christmas each year with an open house in November.

Come visit us in Ellsworth, Kansas

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Fort Harker Museum Complex/ Kanopolis KS

The Fort Harker Museum is located in Kanopolis Ks. First Established as Fort Ellsworth in 1864 at the juncture of the Smokey Hill River and the Fort Riley/Fort Larned Road on the Smokey Hill Trail, the post was moved from its site by the river and renamed Fort Harker in 1866

Ellsworth, KS Military History

1909 Union Pacific Wooden Caboose

A 1909 wooden caboose given to the museum by the "Union Pacific Railroad." This caboose is one of 26 known wooden "Union Pacific" cabooses still in existence in the United States and is the only one known of in Kansas. Following a complete restoration the caboose celebrated its 100

Ellsworth, KS Railroad

Things to do near Ellsworth, KS

"Opera House"

The old "Opera House" building was built in 1881. The second level of the building was used as a theater for commercial plays...

The Depot

The authentic red brick railroad depot was built in the early 1900's and still displays the authentic red tile roof. The depo...