Named after Ulysses S. Grant, Old Ulysses was the only town in Kansas that gave itself away. In 1909, all buildings in the old town were loaded on skids and moved three miles across the prairie to the present location of Ulysses, and all lots in the old town were deeded back to the bondholders. The town was officially called New Ulysses until 1921.
The Hotel Edwards was cut into three sections for moving. Part of the hotel is still standing; the remains of the last business building moved from the old town. It is now on the Museum grounds and has been restored to its original appearance.
George W. Earp, first cousin to Wyatt Earp of Dodge City and Tombstone fame, surveyed the townsite of Old Ulysses in 1885, became its first promoter, businessman, peace officer, and was reputed to have been "a little free with his gun".
At the height of the county seat contest between Ulysses and Appomattox in 1888, Ulysses boasted a population of 2,000 and supported twelve restaurants, four hotels, six gambling parlors, twelve saloons and several other businesses.
Today, Ulysses is a PACEMAKER II community in the Kansas PRIDE program. The first to claim PACEMAKER II status in Southwest Kansas and the first to claim PACEMAKER II status in Western Kansas four years later. There are now only seven cities in the entire state that have earned this recognition through achievement of high standards in twenty-three community concern categories, police and fire protection, recreation, convention and tourism, industrial development and public facilities are just a few.
Grant County has 6,171 acres of walk-in hunting.