Brenham, the county seat, is situated in the east central part of Washington County which is home to more than 120 historic sites and markers, many from the Texas Revolution era. The Texas Declaration of Independence was drafted and signed in this county and a state historical park is located on the site. It was settled on a part of the league of land granted to a settler under colonization laws of Coahuila and Texas. Its predominantly German population began settling here in the 1860's. Brenham is the home of Blinn College, Texas' first county-owned junior college, founded 1883.
Brenham's "Main Street" district is the heart and soul of Washington County. The historic downtown features a variety of shopping opportunities. Brenham was named a "National Main Street City" for the two consecutive years, 2001 and 2002.
Bluebonnets and other wildflowers bloom in profusion along county roads in March and April. The chamber of commerce provides a free "Bluebonnet Trails" map, which outlines the most scenic route for viewing.
Brenham lies halfway between Houston and Austin on State Hwy 290 and on Texas 36, which is a segment of the Ports to Plains Highway connecting the state's heartland to coastal ports.
Period rooms, chapel, carriage house, office. Records and documents of White Deer Land Company, established 1886. Exhibits re...