LASR.net Homepage




Menu


Wahoo, Nebraska

Wahoo, Nebraska

In 1869 land speculators John, James, and William Lee, H.Dorsey, E.H.Berna, J.J.Hawthorne, and George Miner, purchased this "likely spot" in the hope of developing a town in one of the richest farming regions in the state.

Originally the village was called "Leesville" for its founders, but was soon renamed "Wauhoo." It is thought that word comes from the name of a bush which grew along nearby creeks and was used by the Otoe for medicinal purposes. The "u" was dropped from the spelling, probably by postal authorities when they approved an office on July 15, 1869. It is the only town in the USA by that name.

Wahoo is home to the Late Show with David Letterman and five famous sons: Howard Hanson, 1944 Pulitzer Prize-winning composer; "Wahoo Sam" Crawford, 1957 Baseball Hall of Fame; George Beadle, 1959 Nobel Prize winner in genetics; Clarence Anderson, world famous artist, and Daryl F. Zanuck, internationally known movie producer and co-founder of 20th Century Fox.

For those who like keeping sports statistics, the Wahoo High School Basketball has a 114 game winning streak as of the 2001 season (3rd in the nation).

Location is why the people originally came to Wahoo, but it is the people from this location that now make Wahoo a great town.

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Mormon-Ox Bow Trail Marker

The Saunders County Historical Society was the recipient of one of two rocks making up the Twin Rocks marker on the Ox-Bow Trail through the generosity of Don Johnson of Ceresco and Christine Nygren of Ashland.

Wahoo, NE Historic Trails

Saunders County Historical Society Museum

Experience Saunders County history through its complex of seven buildings and caboose on 5 acres of land.

The Main Building completed in 1994 and the newer Anderson-Nelson addition house displays and exhibits about Wahoo'

Wahoo, NE Museums

St. Wenceslaus Catholic Church

The first group of Czech settlers to come to the vicinity of Wahoo arrived in August of 1874. These settlers, who were of the Catholic faith, had to travel 15 to 20 miles in order to attend mass. For three years these settlers traveled to Plasi, Fremont or Abie to attend services. Finally in 1877

Wahoo, NE Historic Churches

Bethlehem Lutheran Church

The first Lutheran services ever conducted in Wahoo were in 1880. They were conducted by Rev. Nels Nordling, pastor of Edensburg church of Malmo and were held in the N.J. Anderson photography gallery. On December 25, 1883 the Swedes organized the present congregation. Lots 4, 5, and 6

Wahoo, NE Historic Churches

Burlington Depot

The Wahoo Burlington Depot, a two-story wood frame building on the Ashland-to-Schuyler line, was constructed in 1886, several months before the railroad's tracks were completed in 1887. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places

Wahoo, NE Museums

Things to do near Wahoo, NE

"Old Trusty" Incubator Factory

Mr. and Mrs. M.M. Johnson came to Clay Center from Sheridan, Missouri in 1894 to install and operate the engines in the Or...