Established in 1850, Waskom was originally known as Powellton. The name changed to Waskom Station in 1872 to honor the man who was instrumental in bringing the Southern Pacific Railroad through the community. Waskom Gas Field was discovered in 1924.
Be sure to check out the New Waskom Cafe, Holly Berry Restaurant and Tea Room, and the Senior Citizens Arts and Crafts Shop. Each are conveniently located on U.S. 80 in the heart of the town.