LASR.net Homepage




Menu

Watonga, Oklahoma

Watonga, Oklahoma

Historic Watonga is the County Seat of Blaine County, and was an early fort and post office station named after the Arapahoe chief, Watangaa (Black Coyote). It was settled in the run of 1892, and has retained its beautiful turn-of-the-century architecture in the downtown area. Today with a population of 3500, agriculture and ranching are big business, along with gypsum mines and manufacturing.

Watonga is a popular spot for antique shopping, browsing through museums, fine dining, and few people leave town without stopping at the Watonga Cheese Factory, (the only one in Oklahoma).

The second Friday & Saturday in October thousands converge on Watonga for their annual Cheese Festival. Visitors enjoy crafts, arts, antiques, flea market, cheese tasting, food contest, parade, living history, quilt show, great rat race, mouse walk, good food and great entertainment.

Rich in cultural western history, individuals and tour groups enjoy spending time in Watonga.

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Barbara's - 1892

The first owner purchased this building from the US Government in 1892. According to a local historian the owner accumulated a lot of property in and around Watonga. This property has been under the same ownership as 104 W. Main since 1951. Seven couples have owned this property from 1892 to date.

Watonga, OK Historic Buildings

Blaine County Courthouse

The Blaine County Courthouse was built in 1906 and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places

Watonga, OK Historic Courthouses

Noble House

The current Noble House structure was built in 1912 by Abe Bills, and replaced an old landmark wooden rooming house. The lower level of the new building housed a residence and a barber shop for Mr. Bills, his wife and daughter. The upstairs portion served as a rooming house. Abe Bills'

Watonga, OK Famous Homes

Watonga Floral and Antique Mall - 1892

Built before the turn of the century this building was purchased in 1892. In 1917 it became a clothing store and remained a clothing store until 1970. It then became a well-known drug store. The same person owned 104 & 106 W. Main since 1951. It continued as a drug store until sometime in the 1980'

Watonga, OK Historic Buildings

Armory Building

The Armory Building was built in 1936 and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places

Watonga, OK Historic Buildings

Things to do near Watonga, OK

Lew Wentz Memorial Golf Course, Pool, & Camp

In the 1920s, Lew Wentz was the owner of the largest one-man oil company in the world. but to many Ponca City children, he wa...