Located in western Colorado County, Weimar was founded in 1873 on the Texas and New Orleans Railroad, and was originally named Jackson Station. The name was changed to Weimar because the land reminded many German settlers of their home in Germany. The city is situated on the land of the original Stephen F. Austin Colony and is rich in history. Incorporated in July 1875, Weimar became an early cotton center. Today, the city is still an agriculture production center as well as a modern business community.
Weimar Gedenke is celebrated annually on the Saturday before Mother's Day. Gedenke is a German word which means "remember." The celebration includes a beauty pageant, parade, and home-baked goods.
St. Michael's Catholic Church, established in 1888, was destroyed by a storm six months after completion. The present building with its conservative Gothic style interior was built in 1914, and is listed on the State Historical Register. The library is housed in the old train depot and is also listed on the State Historical Register. The caboose, adjacent to depot, is used as the library office.